Twelve top plumbing and HVACR students have received honors in the plumbing and HVACR competitions of the annual SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Contest, held recently in Kansas City, Mo.
PHCC—National Association and the PHCC Educational Foundation support the plumbing and HVACR contests each year. The Foundation’s Plumbing Apprentice and Journeyman Training Committee makes up the majority of the SkillsUSA Plumbing Technical Committee, and PHCC members were on hand to set up and help with contest judging. The PHCC Educational Foundation also has a representative on the SkillsUSA HVACR Technical Committee, who assists with set up and contest judging.
Throughout the week, more than 5,700 secondary and postsecondary career and technical education students competed in 94 trades contests. This year’s plumbing honors went to:
· Plumbing 1st Place Secondary – Daniel Serafin, Blackstone Valley RVTHS, Upton, Mass.
· Plumbing 1st Place Post-Secondary – Alexander Swanson, Minuteman RHS, Lexington, Mass.
· Plumbing 2nd Place Secondary – Alex Keenan, Delcastle Tech High School, Wilmington, Del.
· Plumbing 2nd Place Post-Secondary – Jason Hogan, Davis Applied Tech Center, Kaysville, Utah
· Plumbing 3rd Place Secondary – Alex Poisson, Sugar River Valley Regional Tech Center, Claremont, N.H.
· Plumbing 3rd Place Post-Secondary – Jered Otts, Greater Little Rock Area JAC, Little Rock, Ark.
This year’s HVACR honors went to:
· HVACR 1st Place Secondary – Jeffrey Nelson, Pathfinder Vo Tech
· HVACR 1st Place Post-Secondary – Connor Stidham, College of Southern Nevada, Henderson, Nev.
· HVACR 2nd Place Secondary – Christopher Kuhn, Lorain County JVS
· HVACR 2nd Place Post-Secondary – Robert Scott, Elizabethtown Technical College, Elizabethtown, Ky.
· HVACR 3rd Place Secondary – Bradly Higdon, Earnest Pruett Center of Technology, Hollywood, Ala.
· HVACR 3rd Place Post-Secondary – Andrew Beckman, Northeast Community College, Norfolk, Neb.
Technical committee members for this year’s event included:
· Robyn Bucknam, DEWALT Industrial Tool Co., Mooresville, N. C. (plumbing)
· Philip Campbell, United Association, Las Vegas, Nev. (plumbing)
· Laurie Crigler, L & D Associates, Inc., Aroda, Va. (plumbing)
· Robert Hahn, Chair, All Season Energy Service, Union, N. J. (plumbing)
· Merry Beth Hall, Co-Chair, PHCC Educational Foundation, Falls Church, Va. (plumbing)
· Harold Moret, Copper Development Association, Braselton, Ga. (plumbing)
· Roger Peugeot, Roger the Plumber, Overland Park, Kan. (plumbing)
· Dale Powell, Copper Development Association, Harrisburg, Pa. (plumbing)
· Ronald Shanaver, Milwaukee Electric Tool Co., Brookfield, Wisc. (plumbing)
· Jamie Simpson, Schaal Heating & Cooling, Des Moines, Ia. (HVACR)
· Mike Stack, Stack Plumbing, Kirkland, Wash. (plumbing)
· Michael Steele, Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Hixson, Tenn. (plumbing)
· Jim Steinle, Atomic Plumbing, Virginia Beach, Va. (plumbing)
· James Walls, Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute, Garland, Tex. (plumbing)
The event was made possible by the following generous industry sponsors:
Headline Sponsors: American Supply Association; Copper Development Association, Inc.; Delta Faucet Company; and Rothenberger USA.
Additional prize and materials sponsors included: Bosch Power Tools; BrassCraft Manufacturing Co.; Cast Iron Soil Pipe Institute; Cooper B-Line Industries; DeWALT Tools & Accessories; Irwin Industrial Tools; Milwaukee Electric Tool Co.; Mission Rubber Co.; Oatey; PHCC Educational Foundation, PHCC – National Association; Ridge Tool Company; Sioux Chief Manufacturing Co.; Tyler Pipe; UA Local 8; and Viega.